Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2013

How to install MODS for Minecraft

***IT IS IMPORTANT TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS IN THIS POST CAREFULLY, BECAUSE IT'S
PRETTY SIMPLE TO DO.***


First off, I'm new here, and since I'm new, I've had my troubles with Minecraft. But since I've learned, I feel like sharing to help out all the people I see with troubles with mods (I used to take half an hour to do just one mod and figure ­ out xD)

Trying to get images as well.

THINGS YOU WILL NEED:

-WinRAR (Or any other program that can extract and open .jar files
- The mod you wish to use (if it's in an archive, extract the files and get them ready)

BACKUP YOUR .MINECRAFT FOLDER BEFORE ANY MODDING
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST DATA


STEP ONE:

Read the OP's instructions carefully, and look for updates in the thread carefully.

To open your .minecraft folder:

In Windows 7: C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft

In Windows Vista/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\*your user name*\Application Data\.minecraft

Linux: /home/Your User Name/.minecraft

Mac OS/X: ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft


.minecraft Folder

The .minecraft folder looks something like this:



-bin
-resources
-texturepacks
-saves
-options.txt

What's inside the bin folder is what we need:



-natives
-lwjgl,jar
-minecraft.jar
-jinput.jar  
-lwjgl_utility.jar
-version file

Open the minecraft.jar file with WinRAR or the program of your choice. (Some programs may make another .jar file with the name "minecraft" in it, such as xau's HD Texture Patch which made a "minecraft-1.1_02" jar in my folder. Don't mod these .jar's, only mod "minecraft.jar")

STEP TWO:

This part is really simple. Now that you have your .minecraft.jar open, you can follow the instructions of the mod you got. Most instructions are like this:

-Extract the contents of the mod to a temporary folder (I keep all my stuff in a folder called Minecraft Tools on my Desktop, makes it easier to do over if I screw up again).

-Drag and drop the contents of the mod into the WinRAR window that has minecraft.jar open. If the mod has any folders in it that are the same name as any in the minecraft.jar (such as armor or gui, don't worry, WinRAR will merge the contents together)

-Some mods require the deletion of the META-INF folder. Do this if it is required for the installation of the mod.

-Finish any other instructions, and then you're done! 

No comments:

Post a Comment